International Students

Non-U.S. citizens and international pharmacy graduates who wish to pursue pharmacy in the United States can find pertinent information on next steps below.

Non-U.S. Students

Pharmacy Degree in the United States

The Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) degree program in the United States requires at least 2-years of specific pre-professional (undergraduate) coursework followed by 4-academic years (or 3-calendar years) of professional study. The bachelor's (B.S.) of pharmacy degree is no longer offered in the U.S.

Pharmacy Admissions

The pharmacy admission process is highly competitive for all applicants. The classes required for admission vary by pharmacy school. The majority of U.S. pharmacy degree programs require all applicants to apply through the Pharmacy College Application Service (PharmCAS). Visit the PharmCAS School Directory to determine whether a pharmacy school considers non-U.S. citizens for admission and to view admission requirements.

Admission Restrictions for Non-U.S. Applicants

Some U.S. pharmacy institutions do not consider international (non-U.S.) applicants for admission. International applicants may compete for a limited number of positions or may be ineligible for admission, depending on institutional and state policies. Private pharmacy institutions generally offer non-U.S. citizens a greater number of positions within the program as compared to state-supported, public institutions. Foreign citizens should visit the PharmCAS School Directory or the website for each U.S. pharmacy school to determine if international (foreign) applicants are eligible for admission.

If the U.S. institution considers non-U.S. citizens for admission, the applicant must meet the same minimum entry requirements as American students, including course prerequisites and standardized tests. Applicants who completed pre-pharmacy study outside the U.S. will be required to submit original foreign transcripts or a course-by-course foreign transcript evaluation report, depending on school policy. Some pharmacy schools do not accept pre-pharmacy courses taken at a foreign institution and may require pre-pharmacy courses be completed in in a U.S. accredited university.


If an applicant's primary language is not English, the pharmacy school may require the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), Test of Spoken English (TSE), or another English language proficiency test as part of the admissions process. The TOEFL Study Guide is a helpful resource to assist foreign applicants to prepare. 

Foreign Transcript Evaluation Services

World Education Services, Inc
P.O. Box 5087 Bowling Green Station
New York, NY 10274-5087


Non-U.S. Pharmacy Graduates

Pharmacy Practice in the U.S.

Foreign pharmacy graduates that wish to practice in the U.S. must complete the Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Examination Certification (FPGEC®). FPGEC provides a means of documenting the educational equivalency of a candidate's foreign pharmacy education. Questions regarding FPGEC and licensure for graduates of foreign pharmacy programs should be directed to:

The National Association of Boards of Pharmacy
1600 Feehanville Drive
Mount Prospect, IL 60056

Many states have additional testing requirements. Contact the Board of Pharmacy in the state that you will be practicing to learn more. NABP provides contact information for each state board.

Pharmacy Study in the U.S.

If you have already completed a degree in pharmacy at a foreign institution and wish to pursue a Pharm.D. in the U.S., you may wish to consider a post-B.S. pharmacy degree programs. There are colleges and schools of pharmacy that consider foreign pharmacy graduates for admission into a post-B.S. pharmacy (non-traditional) Pharm.D. degree program. A U.S. or Canadian pharmacy license may be required for admission. Visit the Compare Programs page to explore and compare your desired programs using up-to-date statistics.

View the Post-B.S. Pharm.D. Table to determine which colleges and schools of pharmacy in the U.S. offer programs for foreign (non-U.S.) pharmacy graduates.